Random drug and alcohol testing is an occupational health and safety measure that many employers take to keep the workplace safe. This protocol effectively detects substance abuse and/or the presence of intoxicants, such as alcohol, on the job. Implement random drug testing is a safety protocol that is proven to aid in reducing workplace incidents, deterring employees from using substances on the job, and as an extra precaution if a workplace is experiencing an increase in non-negative results after an incident.
If you’re wondering if implementing random drug and alcohol testing is right for your team, take a look at the following article that might help you jumpstart this program.
SHOULD I IMPLEMENT RANDOM DRUG TESTING?
Random drug testing is a recommended protocol for high-risk workplaces. If your team operates heavy machinery or works in incident/accident-prone environments where awareness and coherence is critical–a drug and alcohol policy or onsite testing program may be a great addition to your occupational health and safety plan.
Random testing helps decrease the possibility of substance-related workplace injuries and incidents, so you can ensure your team is as safe as possible.
HOW DOES THE RANDOM TESTING PROCESS WORK?
Random Testing may seem complicated, or time-consuming, but in reality, it’s the exact opposite. Random Testing will help save your company time and money, as you’ll avoid the decreased productivity and high turnover rates that come from hiring an individual involved with substance abuse. Here’s a look at how the Random Drug and Alcohol Testing Process works:
- Each individual in the pool has an equal chance of being selected every testing period (monthly, quarterly, etc.)
- Customized set up for each client’s testing needs, depending on location, site, third-party compliance policy, etc.
- The Precede software program does not factor in whether a worker has been previously tested. This is the most common type of random drug and alcohol testing program.
- Precede’s expertise in random testing ensures a true random selection by using a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved random number generator to give each worker in the pool an equal chance of being selected. This completely removes the employer from the selection process and guarantees integrity and defensibility.
- Precede does NOT CHARGE our clients to administer the random selection process. This service is set up, administered, and documented on our end as a free service to our clients that use Precede to complete the actual random drug and/or alcohol testing.
HOW DO I IMPLEMENT RANDOM DRUG TESTING?
Creating a drug and alcohol testing program can seem overwhelming. Especially for employers who are managing a number of employees and large teams. Precede’s Occupational Health and Safety services alleviates the stress of creating an OHS plan, so your executive team members can focus on the important stuff.
We offer around-the-clock occupational health and safety services to businesses and organizations of all sizes across Canada and the United States. Our programs are tailored specifically to your team’s needs to ensure your workplace health and safety concerns are identified and addressed.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP ENSURE YOUR TEAM’S WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY.
To view a complete list of Precede’s occupational health services for your team, visit our services page. For more information on how Precede can help enhance your company’s OHS program, fill out an OHS Inquiry form and one of our team members will be in contact with you shortly.